Sunday, May 23, 2021

Life as an attitude 2.0 - My ACT love affaire

 

Last April (04.2020) I had a new “revelation” about the importance of attitudes in life, and I illustrated it with a couple of examples from music, from high quality television shows, and I finally left the readers with a bunch of rhetorical questions about their perspectives toward the multiple facets of the fresh CORONA crises and its impact on our global village (see here The value of attitudes). The truth is that I have always enjoyed witnessing life and its challenges as they unfold, infusing curiosity on my perspectives, and stealing fresh looks from things and people when I wasn’t bored, depressed or anxious. I see life as a tremendously complex show worth attending to, and I was willing to pay a good price in order to have a premium perspective whenever I could afford the associated costs. A bald-bold guy I "meet" through his books during my early 20’s - Stephen Covey – persuaded me that attitudes matter, that having an overall perspective is key in getting oriented in life, that personal and professional evolution could be improved by chosen attitudes that are centered around principles and values. Both psychology and my own Christian spiritual tradition stressed the importance of adopting the “right vantage point”, so I wasn’t completely new to the LIFE AS AN ATTITUDE approach. In fact I coded and recoded my first version (i.e., version 1.0) for more than 20 years by now.

Although I was somehow familiar with the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) paradigm, I didn’t really grasp it’s gist from just reading books or even from the in-depth intellectual exploration needed for preparing scientific papers. Therefore, this spring I decided to immerse myself in these waters by taking an online ACT course for psychologists. I thought it would be cool to have another bald-bold guy - Steven Hayes this time - magically appear on my big (almost life size) screen that dominates the space of my home office. Several hundred dollars and a few clicks away I could spend some quality time with him in the comfort of my Romanian home. One of the best parts was the non-conflicting schedules between our busy calendars, as we could have longer or shorter meetings whenever I was able to treat myself with a few ACT training hours. His presence, genuineness, flexible and complex approach, sound scientific base, playful attitudes and valued life perspective reached me with an irresistible and seductive force. I was mesmerized, enchanted, uplifted, and energized by the wealth of implications resulting from just our attitudes-perspectives. How we relate to the universe - be it the internal universe of entangled emotions and thoughts, or the external universe of people, objects, and planets – appeared to me in a fresh new light. The infinite space of consciousness resulted from playfully dancing between different attitudes pushed me in the liberated state of following my values. I irreversibly felt in love with ACT, so much so that I totally embrace it, I wanted to make it my own, to add it to my lifestyle menu so that it will continue to enrich me in the future. Then I realized I was kind of fused with these ideas, so I decided to look at them from different perspectives, to take a break, to allow myself some reflection space. But the post-reflection return was equally liberating, as I found myself in a space where I could not only decide what kind of relationship I want to entertain with ACT, but most importantly, what kind of relationship I want to cultivate with my values, how I can be present in my life, and how I can engage with it guided by what I deem to be important. I don’t know how things will unfold in the future, but my ACT experience certainly enriched my lifestyle menu and upgraded my LIFE AS AN ATTITUDE approach to its 2.0 brand new version. Although the basic components have been successfully installed, there is a long way until they will completely mature and until I will feel comfortable enough with them around because they ended up being impregnated by my personal color palette. However, in my reckless enthusiasm, I started imparting presence, diffusion, and acceptance around; encouraging others in exploring their values, in transcending their conceptualized self, and in engaging with what matters from their newfound and flexible dance of multiple perspectives.               

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment