Sunday, March 29, 2020

Mission statement


What to expect from this blog


Disclaimer: I just hope you will find charming when I spill over the limits of my English as a second language.

The posts from this blog were occasioned by the COVID-19 crises that literally captured the entire world. Seeing how we scrambled and clumsily reacted to the aggressive invisible threat created by CORONA was for me a first time reality show that evoked intense emotions. I was simultaneously perplexed, scared, grieved, and mystified by what I saw on the news every day. The myriad of human reactions, unexpected consequences, and unimaginable challenges we have to face on our way out hopelessly captivated my attention. I started and soon couldn’t stop writing about the different reactions, unavoidable paradoxes, unexpected turns and heroic efforts that emerged from this clash. I just wanted to briefly sketch the cacophonies of our movements while the echo of our hot emotions is still present. I thought this is the least I can do during my stay-home-in-isolation confinement to alleviate the unavoidable frustrations, fears, losses and intense suffering we all taste these days.
Although I work as a faculty at the Department of Psychology, West University of Timisoara (Romania), my researcher persona is being intentionally disguised here. However, I like to think that my scientific background hasn’t deserted me completely and still plays its role in structuring the directions of my thoughts. To make my message more palatable and to effectively convey some potentially helpful attitudes hidden in the joys of reading, I dressed my ideas in Venetian costumes and made them ware eye masks. My hope is that, as the Venetian costumes hide behind their veil a real and recognizable person, my often-times nonsensical ramblings will make you wander about the hidden ideas that lay behind.
One warning note though! You might already have had the intuition by now that these posts are not recommended for metaphor intolerant folks. Actually, if you care to read just one, you’ll encounter an inflation of figurative speech with metaphors, personifications, comparison and impossibly-inverted images dancing hectically as if on drugs. And yes, I do apologize for such an above-normal crowd of figurative language, but I just couldn’t help it: they uncontrollably erupted from the atrocities of my emotions. However, I must confess to your relief that even I was surprised to discover what lies under the hood. And that’s because, whether you believe it or not, in a normal non-crises situation, I can contain myself rather professionally and there are many things, and I mean many things, that let me be barely indifferent. All my friends and colleagues could easily testify for that! But when I care about something, then I do care about it! And in this crisis, for some enigmatical reason, I just couldn’t use my indifferent mode while watching how quickly the entire planet stumbles in a comatose state.
And finally, I am fully aware that while some of my neurons get busy composing these mazurkas, I just have to forget all about the increasing of my academic citations or Hirsch index. But honestly, if while trying to decipher the meaning of my dark letters on this white blog I made you smile for just a tenth of a second, I am definitely happier. You probably noticed we all tend to use humor when in distress and that’s why jokes stock market exploded these days. Actually I am counting on that, and that’s why I tried to disguise some of my ideas using these improvised Venetian costumes. I just thought it might be alleviating to have a carnival of ideas when we can’t attend a real one or even can’t attend the funeral of our loved ones. But I’ll probably talk about such disturbingly difficult topics later as a frail attempt to say something and not to let silence be so overwhelming. Anyhow, on this blog you can find short essays exploring the multiple facets of the CORONA crises significantly biased by my psychology background and other cultural distortions. If my brain doesn’t get tired by these relentless gymnastics I might also provide other essays related to our fears, worries, sorrows and joys using the same detached perspective.
One more note before I go: I am generally open to comments and especially critics as they help me recalibrate my many distortions and see the tackled problem from previously hidden perspectives. So do let me know what I missed or what I got wrong! However, in the unlikely event that my blog gets more viral than CORONA, and I will be overwhelmed by the constant influx of messages, please don’t get mad at me for not providing a satisfying answer, I am probably desperately coping with my daily tasks to avoid being fired by my University.


Note: If you happen to be a journalist and think that every now and then I could contribute to the success of your publication, be bold and came up with a good offer. However, bear in mind that I only write about topics I deeply care, so let me drive the roller-coaster.



Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment