Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Embracing the winter


Disclaimer: I just hope you will find charming when I spill over the limits of my English as a second language.

March 24th, 2020

As much as I like winter and miss its bright white coat on snowless Christmas eves, yesterday morning when we met I didn’t even care to say “HI!” I secretly hoped it will get the message, take its snowflakes and go to the North Pole.
But after staying for three-days-in-a-row at home, yesterday I had to undress my car of its white robe offered for free on a 24/7 frost shop. The mild physical exercises that used to be dirty work, now made me smile and an “I am normal again” thought flagged its presence. Probably the winter caught my ambivalence and today decided to send another flake legion of 2.654.392 soldiers to freeze the city under their white reflections. Next time we’ll have a face-to-face meeting - that is programed when I run out of bread - I’ll try a different strategy to see if I can persuade it out of here.  

March 31st 2020

Seems that I know nothing about the art of persuasion, at least when it comes to convincing winter to relocate. Today it came back and got not only a morning face but a frowning morning face from me. However, after a handful of fresh water contributed to the revival of my face, I’ve started to view the quiet and gracious snowflakes ballet differently. Watching their free movements prompted the many occasions when the winter and I got along quite well, even to the point of forming an enviable partnership. Not only that I was born in January, but when I was about three – my dad told me – I experienced such an intense childish happiness when diving into deep snow that he forgot all about the “be careful with him” instructions my mum entrusted him with. And between 7 and 10 sledging was among my top fun activities. One afternoon, after a long and intense time in total connection with the snow, on my way back home I wondered who invented it. And elaborated about the smartness of such a freely offered invention that whitens the whole landscape and allows us to simultaneously slide, make snowballs and snowmen, and helps Santa deliver his presents. But after I discovered the thrills of speeding downhill on sky slopes nobody could convince me that winter is no fun. In time though, I discovered that occasionally it was late for Christmas and even for the whole winter vacation, and despite my insistence for it to behave, its capricious mood seem to autocratically decide when and under what condition to send its snowflake legions. And little by little I learned that embracing the winter - with its whimsy habits and unwanted cold, and ice, and slash - is actually the only attitude worth embracing. Since that realization - except my occasionally rude, no greeting behavior – we mostly entertain good relationships.   
 But wait a minute! Isn’t the siege drafted and perfidiously deployed by CORONA similar to a winter and colder that the coldest Siberian snowstorm? It froze our economy and social life, stopped most of our travels (and all the fun ones!) like a snowstorm, and forced us to retract in our dens for months despite our repeated protests and resentments. Those without medical training or current political responsibilities were left with just the imposed hibernation option. Staying home in isolation resembles in many ways a forced hibernation, don’t you think? We leave our dens for short intervals, mostly to bring in food. We rely on previously accumulated resources – be them related to our finances, abilities or grandpa’s dumbbells that suddenly increased their value ten times. We wait for the sun to get stronger, melt CORONA’s crown and cast her away in shame after holding us hostage for such a long time. And hope that by summer our lives will resume, and we could hug each other again, and have a pizza, and then work our ass to rebuild the ruins that have grown during our hibernation time.  
For now don’t get too excitedly carried out by such prospects, we are not there yet. We are just serving our time in the den, grudgingly! We did that from the very beginning, remember? When the emergency hibernation exit was first suggested and then severely imposed by authorities, most of us didn’t even care to say “HI!” We really hoped it will get our hate messages, take its stuff and go back to China. We just couldn’t consider such a possibility and fully resented it. We field a sound censorship motion, hoping that our shrewd financial arguments will hold any snowstorm, but to our dismay the arguments didn’t hold and the motion didn’t pass. Despite our insistence for CORONA to behave, its capricious mood seems to autocratically decide where and under what condition to send its legions of viruses. We are desperate to contain it, but the “no viable solutions” we have now only extend the prospect of our hibernation time.

But I wonder whether little by little I could also learn that embracing my stay home in hibernation - with its whimsy days and unwanted isolation, and worries, and pains – represents the only attitude worth embracing. As of now, such embrace seems colder and less comfortable than my previous hugs with the winter. To be honest, when I first learned to embrace the winter I also felt uncomfortable and cold, but we gradually got to know each other. For the moment this kind of imposed hibernation is also cold, and socially distant, and unnatural. But in the end I just hope that - except my occasionally rude, no greeting behavior – I will get to entertain a good relationship with my temporary den; and along the sobering photographs, I will also collect some happy ones for my life’s album.

Note: If you happen to be a journalist and think that every now and then I could contribute to the success of your publication, be bold and came up with a good offer. However, bear in mind that I only write about topics I deeply care, so let me drive the roller-coaster.






Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment