Sunday, March 29, 2020

On my CORONA-occasioned English writing fury

Disclaimer: I just hope you will find charming when I spill over the limits of my English as a second language.      

“Writing is like talking to your distant neighbor” used to say the philosopher Constantin NoicaAnd in our globally connected age “distant neighbor” could literally mean a frightened Vietnamese girl who just learned English and a middle-aged Peruvian who wants to alleviate the pains of his recent divorce and the uncertainties of his unemployment during his/their CORONA stay-home-in-isolation time. And due to the Internet both of them could read the same words at the same time, despite the fact that it’s 10.34 a.m. in Ho Chi Min (Vietnam) and 10.34 p.m. Lima (Peru). In other words, if CORONA defied national borders, laughed at our visa restrictions and confronted us at a global level, our response should also be borderless and quite bold, to match and eventually surpass the enemy. And humor could probably be considered among those highly powerful psychological weapons when it comes to fighting our internal demons and achieving resilience. But for me, and I am not ashamed to admit that, using humor and using English simultaneously is fun but also dangerous. It feels like walking and sometimes running so close to the edge of my English as a second language that the “When I will spill myself over?” and “How often I already did that unknowingly?” pop up continuously. Out of this fear the disclaimer I so conscientiously paste above all my posts was born. But English seemed my only borderless passport in this planetary battlefield, so I took the risk of being laughed at, knowing that in one way or another I might increase your serotonin level. Anyhow, this introductory note was just meant to give you a sense of why a poor Romanian guy, who still uses threasurus.com to find the best synonyms for what produces his Romanian mind, decided to try his luck with English.           
       But enough with this! Let me tell you in what context my writing fury was triggered at the beginning of the COVID-19 crises. After abruptly deciding to drive from my work city (Timișoara) to my home city (Brașov) upon the national closing of all school and universities in Romania (March 11, 2020), I received a call from a distant friend requesting a short article about COVID. As I wanted to help him and also to be nice I half-heartedly agreed to do it among the other urgencies of the moment, so I commanded my brain to start thinking about the task. Next day, during my morning reading routine, my mind suddenly started to imagine an introductory passage for this article. So I just gave it a chance, opened my computer and started writing. At the middle of the first paragraph I played on some words and found it fun and stimulating, so I continued. As the ideas convolutedly wrestled for supremacy, the text accumulated some intensity and sometimes made me smile. I kept that pace for a few hours just to realize the joviality of the essay made me dance with joy even after closing the laptop. Somehow surprised by the intensity emanated by that experience I emailed my friend the article and attended the other tasks at hand.                
Next day I received a strongly edited version of the text, with 86.79% of metaphors chopped away and replaced by an overall serious demeanor. In unbelief, I called my friend (who, by the way, published a poetry volume not long ago) and asked what made him butcher my essay. This time he half-heartedly agreed to keep the original structure except a few parts that seem problematic for him. However, when he sent me his second set of comments I realized that “a few” was the same 86.79% of the text. So I told him: “If you see no reason to enjoy this and have no attitude for a fun ride, go home and dance on church choir music.”          
As I reflected upon this whole situation I realized that, actually, I always enjoyed reading these baroquely-intricate texts for their intrinsic capacity to stimulate my intellect, to make me wonder about the complexities of the human mind, about the convoluted lows of the universe and the unsolved paradoxes of, say, quantum physics. I remembered how grateful and honored I felt when, mediated by written words, I could hear the most intimate thoughts produced by some of my more famous planetary neighbors. And I have plenty of memories from such distant indiscretions in the minds of say Steven Pinker, Maxwell Gladwell, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Clifford Goldstein, Philip Yancey or Robert Farrar Capon. I remembered that while I entered that state of deep connection with their delicate way of approaching words that eloquently defended their ideas I experienced multiple intellectual orgasms during the same afternoon. And these experiences contributed to the person I am right now, minus of course my stubborn weaknesses, and enriched me beyond the point of no return.
 Apart from these contextual factors, probably the real steam for these writings was fueled by my intense emotional reactions to the CORONA-occasioned cacophonies and paradoxes (as I already alluded to in the Mission Statement). When such emotional dynamite went up and meet my rational thoughts, the resultant explosion spilled out with an uncontrollable force. And all I wanted to do was to help, to alleviate, to make people stronger, and to nurture their resilience. But I was confined for a long term in my apartment and couldn’t use my usual skills to reach that goal, so I had to be creative. And the result is what you just see – a bunch of essays reverberating my concerns and fears and hopes and sorrows.  
In the end I am grateful to my non-dancing friend because he handed me the drum sticks. As I started hitting the meter again I was pretty convinced the composition looks right and I let the music lead me to her own pleasure. And my fury has this unmistakable hum that makes my whole body and mind and soul vibrate in a consumingly wonderful dance every time I pour my thoughts on the keyboard.      

But sometimes this relentless fury is so intense and persistent that makes me wonder how long it will take to fully burn me and leave me with no vital signs. When my brain ceaselessly pours ideas into my consciousness with such a tempo that I barely managed to reap its fruits and had to stop whatever I am doing to write them down and off, and when at the end of the day I feel so exhaustedly happy and exhaustedly exhausted, I just wish them to stop, to go away. And even pray about it! But simultaneously I fear that my prayer will be answered someday, and the stream will run dry, and then I will regret having said that prayer. What I am actually trying to say is that I wish I’d have a good strategy to slow this process down, to spread it on a longer time frame, to enjoy it for another year. Unfortunately I don’t have it and I honestly don’t know how it is going to evolve and where it will take me. In all this hectic-incessantly-exhaustingly-joyful brainstorming that I simultaneously savor and fear, the only reassuring, really reassuring perspective is that one essential aspect of writing – as well as of life – is the attitude. This simple and deep truth was recently revealed to my one morning when my mind was searching something related to this subject. At the time I had to stop for a moment to let it sink deep into my psyche. I couldn’t believe how simple and universal this is, and how basically true. I just hope that the intensity of this experience will leave an unforgettable trace in my memory for the rest of my life. And as long as I was lucky enough to have been introduced to this attitude and know it from the inside, I wish I’ll be honored with future touristic visas that will allow me to explore other uncharted reach territories and tell you all about them.

Note: If you happen to be a journalist and think that every now and then I could contribute to the success of your publication, be bold and came up with a good offer. However, bear in mind that I only write about topics I deeply care, so let me drive the roller-coaster.







Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment