Sunday, April 12, 2020

Could the second joy be happier for you too?

I’ve been told that my texts seem too dense for some readers, with hidden meanings remaining mute at first glance. Probably some of the unexpected moves, abrupt comparisons, sudden changes and wired associations fancied by my excited neurons preclude the normal predictions in an unanticipated fashion. I do apologize for forcing you to hike into such a dense tropical forest of metaphors instead of graciously inviting you to take a nice walk on a sunny beach during a quiet afternoon. But I am not entirely responsible for this. CORONA initiated this global movement and made us deforest new territories overnight, and at least in my case the terrain was uneven, and rough, and bumpy. And from my stay-home-in-confinement I troubled myself with looking at other people to see how they are coping, and then added other institutions and businesses, and whole industries, and finally entire countries. The disturbing and unsettling show that resulted was so full of false notes, clumsy movements and such an amazing series of cacophonies that I couldn’t retain any doubts that we were totally unprepared for this challenge. And my emotions couldn’t just stay cool and remain calm, but instead started to bump around, and excite my neurons, and clashed with my logical thinking to such a degree that my only way out was to reduce the pressure by letting some of them dance on the keyboard. I also tried vigorous physical movements as a cool down strategy, but sport was only a temporary relief. So I decided to let them out as they came, and figured it’s better to have no interference whatsoever with the metaphor concentration they independently decide to go for.

However, I dare offer some unsolicited advice despite the risk of being redundantly behind the already considered possibilities you thought about from the very beginning. If you simply don’t like such convoluted texts, find unpleasant the tropical forest hikes, and repeatedly scratched your legs with the uncut branches, just drop your backpack and go back to the other pleasant stuff that can satisfy your taste better. For those who do like the hikes but find the tropical forest too dense, the tempo to fast, or the metaphors too tropical – there are alternative solutions. You could just go slower and take your time to smell the flowers and notice the shy ladybug hidden under the third leaf (on the back of it, I mean!). Animated by a curiosity that rivals National Geographic experts, I’ve sketched (even if only with my crayons and pastels) some rare tropical species using figurative language just for your pleasure. And if you find these hikes fun you could take the same route twice. I promise you’ll not get bored during your second trip because I’ll impart with you some of the scenery you’ve missed during the first adventure due to the complicated landscape and the sudden flight of that colorful parrot that captured your attention the first time around. I know time is an expensive commodity, and not everyone can afford it, but it might be wiser to take one hike and fully enjoy it, than perspire 20 minutes because you wanted to pack four hikes in the same box, only to retain the general idea and simultaneously guilty your consciousness for not working hard enough or for stealing 1200 seconds from your family.

If you hypothesized that going slower and taking the same hike twice is not bare theoretical talk but imparting from personal experience, I must congratulate you for having such an astute intuition. The slower second hikes I decided to delight myself with as a sign of appreciation for the intellectual ornaments of ideas fancied by some authors were oftentimes sweeter and more fruitful for me. I took the risk of going deeper into the forest and fondle with their wild cats until they surrendered and behaved almost as domestic animals. And at least for me those pleasures got closer and sometimes beyond the point of experiencing an intellectual orgasm. It’s true that by following this strategy I got to see fewer sceneries, hike on fewer mountain paths and acquainted with fewer intellectual partners. But I value deep intimacy way above sheer numbers, so it would take a long time for someone to persuade me out of this. But I am fully aware that the world is diverse not only in terms of colors and races, but even more so in terms of reading preferences. My humble intention was just to make you contemplate the slower and/or repeated hike strategy and eventually try it once to see how it feels. At any rate, these days diversity lovers are really happy as they can enjoy an almost endless number of hikes and sceneries, be them real or virtual.   

This morning I simply remembered an old saying from Proverbs: “If you find honey, eat just enough, too much of it, and you will vomit.” (Prov. 25:16, NIV). And my brain coupled it with the complaints from some readers, so I thought you might also benefit from it (but even if I am plain wrong, I can still look myself in the mirror with no guilt). And when things will get back to normal, I might take the chance to impart with you less convoluted text designs as I hope to regain my pleasure for long and relaxed walks on the beach during quiet afternoons.   


Disclaimer: I just hope you will find charming when I spill over the limits of my English as a second language.



Note: If you happen to be a journalist and think that every now and then I could contribute to the success of your publication, be bold and came up with a good offer. However, bear in mind that I only write about topics I deeply care, so let me drive the roller-coaster.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment